Saturday, August 12, 2006

Daycare Days 2&3

Yesterday Savvy spent the whole day with me at work. He was a good boy, for the most part. I mean he was very well behaved with the exception of barking whenever I would leave him. He did good with the dogs that he met, Fenway and Baylee, and was pretty comfortable in the yard. After he played outside for a little while I took him upstairs and he met Deja, Nancy's Aussie puppy that is 12 days older than him. They were very cute together, but didn't really play. They mainly ignored one another.

The only problem that Savvy had today was his crate time. He's never been locked in a crate except for in the car so he wasn't too happy. He screamed for quite a while, and then nicely wore himself out and fell asleep for a long time. He woke up when Tony got there and played with him for a while. It was adorable to see the two of them interact. If there's one thing I have to say I admire about Tony it's the way he interacts with the dogs. He's so good at getting them to play, and he really worked at getting Savvy to loosen up. Later in the afternoon Savvy was outside and I caught a glimpse of Tony shuffling past the window with Savvy chasing him. :-)

Last night I trained Savvy for a few minutes. We worked on charging the clicker, sits, and Gotcha! He did really well with the Gotcha! and moderately well with the sits. He gave me quite a few repetitions but is still not quite sure about offering the behavior and really thinking about what I want. But what can I really expect from him, he's only 9 weeks old!

Today both Savvy and Catcher came to work with me. When I got there I brought Savvy in first and Tony immediately held his arms out and took him from me. When i came back with Catcher Zoey was in the office checking out Savvy. So we put both of them down and the three of them played quite well. Once Zoey settled down she laid down and did quite well rolling around with them. Tony got on the floor as well and the 4 of them wrestled and rolled all over the floor. At one point Zoey rolled on her back and both boys tackled her trying to nurse. Then she curled up with a bone and Catcher laid down in between her front legs and chewed on the bone with her. :-) While Tony was playing with them Catcher walked over and stole his hat and started chewing on it, and his tail was going, and both of them were pouncing Tony and biting him. It made me so happy to see them having fun and enjoying another person that my eyes actually teared up a bit.

I was also extremely proud that they both got to the point today that when I left them in a run outside they would go explore the run and not scream at the gate for me to come back! YAY!!!!

Both of them met a ton of new people when I walked through all the classes today. Everyone ooh'ed and aww'ed over them and Savvy soaked up every moment. Catcher was a little more reserved, but it was still a good experience for him. What really suprised me was that both of them LOVED Kendra. I didn't think that Catcher would really like her because he's always so nervous, but Savvy loved her. He went running up to her and jumped up with his tail and butt wagging and his tongue going, and pretty soon Catcher did the same.

When we got home Fly was so happy to see them all 3 of them did zoomies all around the house.

So what we need to work on: going in the crate! both of them are charging out of it. I've been giving them a handful of RedBarn every time they go in, but it's still a challenge to get them both in.

No comments: