Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Week 2 Homework

Tonight we worked on the Retrieve and started discrimination work.

Retrieve:
* Watch for tendencies for the behavior
* Start with nose touch and wait out mouth open
* Solid Pick-up - Duration - pick up several times then set thedog up to drop it in your hand, shape into a pick up and put in hand or no treat is given

Discrimination:
* Stick with the "hot" item
*Build up to all 4 items but still touching the "hot" item

For Savvy's hot item I used a glasses case and gave it the cue, "case"
savvy's second item was the glove

Homework this week:
*continue discrimination work, the retrieve and targeting

On another note Savvy did well in heeling class this week. He kept breaking his stays, but that's been the hardest thing to teach him so I can work on that. We did learn that I need to look down at my feet and then over at him, rather than always glancing over my shoulder, as that pushes him back and out. I also need to start keeping my bait bag on the right because it is pushing him wide on his halts. Our biggest challenge I think though is the figure 8's because he is totally in tune to saying hi to the posts and not caring about me. But this will come with time and age. :-)

No comments: