Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Agility Class

Savvy and I enjoyed our first agility class tonight! My little goof ball was well...a little goof ball. He started out being a little antsy and barky, which is to be expected because he hasn't been to a formal class since October. However he settled in after a few minutes.

We started class with telling Carolyn our goals for class and long-term. So my long term goals for Savvy are to compete in agility because he has to live up to his Dad's reputation. My class goals, however, are to build our relationship as a team, and create a solid foundation to the future.

The first exercise we worked on was hand targeting, which usually Savvy is awesome at. Of course since this was a new place and we're a bit rusty he wasn't as enthusiastic as usual, but still did well.

Then we worked on lid targeting. He did well for the first few touches and then he decided that rolling over was much more fun, leading Carolyn to make comments about him being goofy. So we worked some more on lid targeting and Savvy decided that it was too much effort to bend down and touch the lid, so he laid down with it in between his front legs. This again led Carolyn to make a comment about "Mr. Lazy Bones".

Next we worked on spinning on both the right and left sides, and Savvy did well.

After that we worked on walking on our right side. He did well, he tried to scoot over to my left side a few times, but I was very impressed by how calm he was on my right side.

We ended class by shaping some board work. Savvy was at total ease walking all over it and sitting on it. I would like to see a little more enthusiasm with him though. I'm so used to Fly being so driven for agility, and Savvy just doesn't have it, yet. He will when Carolyn and I get done with him though! :-)

~C~

Homework:

1) lid targeting
2) working on right side
3) spinning on left and right

No comments: